Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Here I Go Again


Since returning home, I've had a lot of you tell me how much you enjoyed Traveling with Phil. So, I've decided to keep my blog going through another upcoming trip, to India, from mid-February to early in March.

After all the many places I've been in the world, India finally came to the top of my list and with my friend, Dennis, I explored many possibilities for travel there. They all seemed exotic, which only whetted my appetite, but they were also expensive. Even though I truly wanted to go, I demurred. Then, a travel company in Key West with which my friend David had been to Egypt promoted a lavish tour of India and although David and I discussed going, we both thought it too costly. Then Dennis came to town and he and David decided to go. I felt left out. But during my recent cruise, Mariella, the Afghan hound from Pasadena, said something I'll always remember. About something she hesitated over, she said to herself, "If not now, when?" I thought that was good advice so during a long drive to the Eastern Shore - I do my best thinking while I'm driving - I decided to take the monetary plunge and sign on.

The tour goes to all the usual places in the north: Delhi, Agra, Jaipuir, Udaipur, Ranthambore, etc. We'll travel by plane, bus, train and car. And all the hotels are strictly first class. (I look forward to being a guest in the palace hotel in the lake.) Billy and Ted, other friends who've been there, gave me a whole shopping bag full of guide books and I'm in the process of reading "The Death of Vishnu," which they say epitomizes the Indian psyche. I've gotten my visa and will have the necessary shots later this week. I'm booked, with David and Dennis, on Continental's direct flight from Newark to Delhi. So I'll soon be on my way.

Writing a blog from India may be a little more sporadic than from a ship and dependent on finding an Internet cafe, which could be difficult. But the quality of the hotels suggests Internet service - especially from India, where so much Internet service is centered - so I'll rely on that.

For those of you who followed my cruise experience, you might like to know that I've just finished copy for an article about that, which will appear in Baltimore's Style magazine in their March/April travel issue. "Waltzing Across the South Atlantic" was fun to write; I hope you'll enjoy that, too.

And now onward to India! I wonder if I'll find a Margot (with a T) on the tour. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Phil. I enjoyed your crusing blog and I look forward to your India reporting.

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil,
    I am really looking forward to seeing and reading about your vision of India through your newest blog. I love your writing style! Bon Voyage!!
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to this, especially to your impressions of the Lake Palace Hotel in Udaipur, where I stayed five nights for Christmas 1983 when it cost about $20 a room, long before it had been discovered either by the TV makers of 'The Jewel in The Crown' or gussified by Taj Hotels !

    ReplyDelete