Friday, February 19, 2010

Thursday to Friday: And Away We Go


Taking Amtrak to Newark to catch our plane to Delhi made me realize just how much we’ve become a service economy. I had forgotten from my days in New York, when I took the train regularly, how symbolic this corridor is of our waning industrial past, empty buildings with broken windows, graffiti and rust, slum trees growing randomly about, abandonment and neglect. I was glad when we reached the new Newark Airport stop, all shining glass and aluminum. Traveling Elite status, thanks to many frequent flyer miles, got us through the security line quickly and we met Dennis in the Continental lounge right on schedule. There was a little mix-up about my seat – I had booked one right behind Dennis and David but was placed elsewhere – but the concierge on the plane was helpful and soon moved me to the place had wanted to be. We had the usual airline meal – thinking I would get right into India, I tried the lamb chops Indian style, which we very, very hot. I prevailed but it wasn’t easy. I watched a movie from among the hundreds available and slept, fitfully. The map on the progress screen showed our route across northern Europe, somewhere near Moscow, over all the Stans to Kabul and Islamabad and then into Delhi. Fourteen hours and 7400 long miles. We were met by a young Indian man who said his name was “Lovie” (or maybe Dovie) – I couldn’t help but think of Dot Rosenberg – who welcomed us each with a lei of marigolds. We also met one other of us on the tour, a man from Orange County who had been traveling for almost two days. Probably Japanese-American, and somewhere over 50, he seemed pleasant enough, if a little stiff – it can’t be easy to meet three revelers traveling together – and had an odd first name: Caesar Lee. Is that something like Sugar Lee? Also at the airport, I got a shot of a car that was apparently waiting for an incoming couple fresh from their honeymoon. Orange, it was covered with a doily of white lace (made, I’m sure from plastic) with lots of flowers. The car looked somewhat embarrassed to be so decked out. But I’m sure the couple found it charming. Our hotel, one of the leading hotels of the world, had elaborate security. We had to go through a metal detector to enter and all our luggage was scanned. My knee set off the alarm, as usual, but I was ushered in without further inspection. So much for security. A drink in the bar, loud with disco music – the room could have been anywhere in the world, where young people gather on a Friday to admire or envy each other’s get-ups and cruise – revealed that here Ketel One is more expensive than Grey Goose, at about $10 bucks a shot. The rooms are pleasant, if not “leading,” and my melatonin worked. I slept soundly. Now it’s time for breakfast and meeting the other guys on the tour. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment