Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday, April 15: At Sea (between Acapulco and Guatemala)

The humidity is now so high that my cameral lens fogs over first thing in the morning and the camera can't "see" to focus. I had to keep wiping the lens surface to get a (not so good) sunrise. The day was very lazy. I spent most of it on deck with Swann and Odete and their multi-troubled relationship. The read is not easy going but I persist and the effort is worth it. A dip in the pool, which felt so good in the heat, nonetheless exposed my face and head and shoulders to the now tropical sun and I was badly burned, looking like the rare tournedos I had for dinner perched on top of my tuxedo. Jorge put us at a table in the middle of the dining room (for a change) so we missed our usual waiters, Henry and Harlan. We were, however, not far from Chanel, chicly dressed in black and silver with one of her enormous rings on her index finger. Billy flirted with her so that she came to our table as she was leaving the dining room to tel us how handsome we all looked in our formal wear. We played Bingo again, winning a few games (my Silver Sea points are adding up). I went to a Venetian Society cocktail party where Tiffany crystal emblems were presented to those who have traveled an impressive number of nights - the big award went to an elderly lady from The Netherlands who has accummulated almost 500 nights. At an average rate of between $500 and $750 a night, that's a significan investment in pleasure. I guess she can afford it. She was dressed in Kelly green satin with a stole and wearing a hard to miss emerald and diamond necklace. The big news of the day came via email to Bill's I-phone. His niece, Rachael, who auditioned recently for the role of Amelia, the doll role (in which she is truly unbelievable) in The "Tales of Hoffman," won the part and will debut in it at La Scala in January.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Sunscreen Uncle Phil!! Sunscreen!!! I'm sure your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greenie sez: I hope your sunscreen is at least a 50! Whew. How's the a/c? Bon route...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really great to be able to keep up with your travels and adventures. Keep them coming. Sounds as if you are having fun. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete