Sunday, April 24, 2011

Saturday, April 23: At Sea

I promised myself before I left home, particularly since this may be my last Silver Sea cruise, that I would have no "shoulds" on this trip. I would do (and eat and drink) anything I wanted. And so it isn't surprising that my belt, after struggling so hard to stay in the same hole that the hole, dogeared and torn, has enlarged and given up holding me in, and moved to a new hole (which is three holes from where it was when I bought the belt in Africa some years ago). No surprise: margaritas, wine carbonara, roast beef, chocolate, ice cream. And all for lunch! What did I expect? There are far too many mirrors on this ship to remind me that a really strict diet - going back to many "shoulds" and "should nots" - will be necessary once I get home.

Since the rawness of my legs prevents me from sitting in the sun (or even wearing shorts or going in the pool) I have to amuse myself on deck by taking head shots of the many guests I will remember for their characteristic look or mannerisms: the manic horse lady with the flamingo clips; the walker-man who pauses every few steps: Elizabeth, the Alzheimer's sufferer in her sadly sagging pink bathing suit; the woman with enormouos breasts and badhair; Chanel of the face lift and balloon-y lips; Jorge, always smiling; Judi, cruising around in her colorful suits and impossible-to-be-natural hair; Sir Francis, always with a smile and always ready to bring me a bloody mary. I like to take these pictures secretly, for people are far more natural when they don't know they're on camera, but I've been caught a few times and one woman I didn't know from Switzerland asked me what "on earth" I was doing. "Just getting local color," I said, as I slunk guiltily away.

We won enough points at Bingo to enlarge our total so we can earn two baseball caps with the Silver Sea logo. And big surprise: I won the Silver Sea quiz again. It was all about science, not usually my strongest suit. "What is the science of diseases of the brain? Of plants? Of animals?" The one I missed was the science of the history and development of language. The answer is 'philology. ' You'd think I'd remember that!

On our last formal night we were invited, by fancy printed invitation no less, to join the hotel manager for dinner but at the last minute he was "unavailble." In his place were the guest chef, who was far more interesting (even if he did spill the chou all over his demonstration table) and the beautician in the spa. Maike, from a farm in Namibia, an odd place in the world where I have actually been. She was shy and hard to engage. Sauteed fois gras with fig jam, pumpkin ravioli with walnut oil, Beef Wellington and of course, a chocolate/chocolate dessert. And back in our suites we each had an Easter basket filled with goodies and a towel bunny. What a finale!

Our last day aboard and my summary of the cruise will be sent from my computer at home, where it doesn't cost me 45 cents a minute.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment