Saturday, April 30, 2011

Monday, April 25: Fort Lauderdale to Baltimore

As usual, I got up early, to take photographs of the sunrise. I wasn't about to let the end of my trip interrupt my routine. As it turned out, the sunrise was spectacular, rising up on the starboard side as the coast of Florida, marked by many twinkling lights, appeared on the port side. As the light blossomed, other ships and the outlines of buildings on the coast emerged from the dark. It was all very pretty and an almost spiritual experience, lifting my mood from the day before from the gloom of ending into the dawn of new beginning.

I met the boys for our last breakfast, where we got the royal treatment from Fritz and Harlan and Henry and Joselitto. They seemed genuinely sad to see us go. Or maybe that's only the professional in them. I'm sure they'll be just as happy with the new guests as they were with the old.

Getting off the ship seemed endless but was handled, as usual, with great efficiency, guides pointing us in all the right directions - "orange bags over here!" - and sheparding us into buses and on to the airport. Ted ran into Chanel (Muriel) and just to add to her mystery, when he hugged her, her blouse ran up and he could see tattoos around her waist. Our flights were on time and although crowded, they were routine. David met my plane and we went immediately to dinner at the City Cafe. Despite all the gourmet, Relais & Chateaux experience on the cruise, the Baltimore crab cake was delicious.

A wrap up follows.

Stay tuned

1 comment: