Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Reality

For some months I've been explaining to curious friends just what a gentleman host does, how I got the gig and where the cruise is going. Almost everyone initially reacts with surprise (that I'm doing such a weird thing), then curiosity (at the details) and finally approval (of this adventure). I'm happy to say that for the most part, and looking at myself from outside myself, I have the same reactions: surprise that I've undertaken such a challenge, curiosity at what to expect and approval of my daring at this time in my life. At a recent dinner party, however, I caught some friends across the table speaking to each other and looking at me in turn, as though contemplating remarks made about me. They weren't smiling so I knew their conversation was serious. I challenged them and they admitted that they'd agreed my upcoming cruise would not be only a lark. "You'll be working," one of them said. "And working hard. We wonder how you'll do." To be honest, so do I. As the day for my departure draws inevitably nearer, I have to admit to some degree of apprehension. There's the not known, of course, pregnant with uncertainty, an emotion not entirely comfortable for a controlling personality like mine. But more than that, there's the known: a daily schedule filled with many activities, a dinner hour in which my charm must never falter and a night of dancing until every guest's desire to dance is spent. I wonder about my stamina. Can I sustain this routine for thirty days? I guess I'm about to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Phil, It's like acceptance to a school or university. If you've been accepted, they know you can do the work. I've no doubt that not only will you be able to do it, but you will enjoy it. Not only that, but you have so much to offer the guests since you're quite an interesting man. Beverly

    ReplyDelete