Sunday, September 30, 2012

Friday, September 28, 2012: At Sea

Finally,a very lazy day, much needed to recover from two days of heavy sightseeing and before two more in Shanghai. I spent the day on deck by the pool, reading and napping, and talking to Ellen about the Silver Quiz; how it works, what it takes to win, what one wins. Altogether a very easy day.

In the evening, at the captain’s reception for members of the Venetian Society – every guest becomes a member after completion of their first cruise- Mr. Matsushita, from Japan, and I were publicly recognized for achieving saphire swtatus by traveling more than 100 nights on Silver Sea cruises, he at 105 nights and 103 for me. Angela Paznokaite, the Venetian Society hostess, invited us to join her for dinner where I had to concentrate really hard to understand her through her Lthuanian accent and him through his Japanese one. I tried to engage his wife in conversation but, I understand typical of Japanese wives, she was most retiring. Mr. Matshusita, a wine connesseur, ordered a very special red wine, earthy and dirty and delicious.

The show, the first I’ve seen aboard thisship, was all opera arias sung by three women, all sopranos, and three men, all tenors. One manhad the best voice of the three but it often got away from him; he hasn’t yet learned to control it. And Wendee, who loves my Crocs, was the best soprano. She should really beon a larger stage. And so to bed.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment