Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Since my last post....

Since my last post in June, my physical condition has both improved, and deteriorated. The good news is that the knee and the vertebrae in my back have healed nicely. The sad news is that both still give me some discomfort, which prevents me from standing or walking for very long. I’m still in physical therapy for both – and for some damage to a rotator cuff – and have begun to feel when I go for therapy that I’m back in school. They’ve all been very nice to me there and I guess I’m slowly improving. But the work continues.


Despite all this, I’ve planned that long-desired cruise and am leaving next week for Tokyo where I will board the Silver Shadow for a cruise to Beijing, and intermediate ports in Japan, Korea and China. I’m looking forward with great anticipation to being waited on for a couple of weeks, although I’m sure the deck hand who brings me a drink will also have to help me up from the deck chair. My usual traveling companions all have understandable reasons for not joining me so I’ll just have to turn on my “dance host” charm from a few years ago and go gettem’.

Sadly, the publication of my memoir was not an entirely happy affair. Something I wrote about a dear friend was, without my knowing (or remembering), considered a secret and my revealing it caused a big flap, which has affected my friendships with many of my former close friends. Apologies have not helped. So the last few months have been perhaps the loneliest in my life, yet another reason to be on the road again and to meet some new people.

As I can (and as I feel up to it), I will write here about my adventures, so you can follow along if you wish.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment