Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Packed and ready to go....

I absolutely hate packing. I don’t mind the actual cramming of the things into the luggage at the last minute. That’s only a matter of organization, like order, like lists, those chores that are totoally compatible with my basic personality. But making the decisions? Now that’s hard. First there are the bathroom things: shaving cream, a razor, toothbrush and toothpaste, you know: the things you use every morning? I usually go through my daily routine in my mind but there are those other things that I don’t use on a daily basis that absolutely have to go in. And when I’ve already folded the shirts in plastic garbage bags, and laid them all out on top. Dig in. Find a little space for the travel alarm. Or the little bag of electrical adapters. Then I have to decide on the clothes. Do I take a tuxedo, and all those accoutrements that go with it? Cuff links, a cummerbund. The clip on? Or the tie-it-yourself? I’m usually late for a formal nights on board and my fingers are getting a little too old to slip that end around and through the other. And the formal shirts? All too small. I had to run out at the last minute and buy a new one. The salesman said a size 18. But I bought an 18 ½ just so I won’t have to struggle with the button. Short sleeved shirts? Or long sleeves? The wash-it-yourself underwear? How many pairs of socks? The black belt or the brown one? Or both? They don’t take up much space. How many T-shirts? What colors? And the Crocs. Do I take more than one pair?

It’s been quite a day. All those decisions. But I’ve made them and packed now. I got everything in, even the baseball caps – I always pack them in the corners with the brims down so they won’t flatten out. It was a hard decision. But I only packed three. Since I’m traveling business class, thanks to frequent flyer miles – I don’t have to worry about how much my luggage weighs. I know it’s over 50 pounds but it travels free. Now I can rest. Until tomorrow morning, when Freedom picks me up at 4:30. Did I pack the travel alarm? Oh my. How’m I going to wake up at four o’clock? Do I have to dig through all that pile of stuff again?

Stay tuned.



1 comment:

  1. O HI O Cooper and bon voyage...
    watch that green tea!
    D.

    ReplyDelete