Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Storm Update

October 30, 2012

7:00 AM

It's still raining desultorily here and the trees are moving slightly but as though they're tired from all their previous enthusiasm, such as that was. Since the mayor yesterday barred all traffic from our streets except for emergency responders and until noon today, the streets are still strangely deserted, the street lights, now calm, making red and green reflections in the rain, alternating, to control traffic that does not exist. I still have electricity and never heard the roar of the storm that John Roman described as terrifying, from his home in Lewes. From the safety of my perch on the fourth floor of The Fitz, the storm was pretty much a dud.

After the shrill commentary from all three Baltimore TV stations all day yesterday, it was odd to turn on the TV at 2:00 AM this morning and find "Dr. Phil," "The Mysteries of Hercule Poirot," and the ubuiquitous advertising for exercise machines. Of course the three stations are back this morning with storm news - the number of deaths in Maryland (two), the number of houses in the city still without power (15,000) and photographs of snow in Western Maryland. And, of course, since no one can drive on Mount Royal Avenue (for instance), I have no morning paper. I guess I, at least, have been very lucky. Moving to an apartment has meant no worry about a tree falling on my house, a concern that my old neighbors on Linden Green still carry.

As light returns and the day progresses, I may venture out to explore Bolton Hill but unless there is more to tell, this will end my reportage on The Storm of the Century, or The Megastorm, or Frankenstorm, as TV commentary has called it. To me, it was just a steady rain and a little wind. Stay tuned? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment