Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday, October 3, 2012: At Sea

As on most days at sea when I do little but nap and read, today was no exception. In addition, today I did go to the morning lecture, the last in a series about popular music, this one about Harold Arlen who wrote many hits including “Stormy Weather” and Judy Garland’s old nugget “Over the Rainbow.” The lecture was punctuated with clips form films, including one of Garland singing her song, and even the lecturer himself singing. He was a better lecturer than singer. But no matter. The lecture was interesting.

The last day of a cruise is always a melancholy one for me – saying goodbye to new friends – “let’s do stay in touch”  - but you know you probably won’t. And there’s the packing, which I do not prefer (read hate) either coming or going. But at least packing to go requires few decisions; you just jam in everything you’ve got and hope the luggage will close.

I’ve been amazed on this cruise that so many of the staff know my name. In addition to my butler, waiters and deck staff and office and store staff all call me by name. “Good morning, Mr.Cooper.” “Can I help you, Mr. Cooper?” Of course, I call all of them by name, as well, but they’re wearing name tags and I’m not. I wonder how they train themselves to remember guests’s names. Or do they remember mine because I’m now a member of the Century Club?

With the backs of my hands badly burned by the sun – I have no melanin there and I’m taking doxycycline so that’s a double whammy – I asked Maria for a pair of the staff’s white cotton gloves. I cut out the fingers and now look like a Japanese guide. But at least, my hands will be protected from the sun. Although tipping is verboten on the Silver Sea ships, I will leave something for Maria, for her service and kindness.

I met Julia in the bar, always by accident, and we each had a drink before dinner. She told me a little more about herself. She has been married three times, the last to a doctor who was very wealthy and who died in 2008. She has three sons to whom she has recently given $100,000 each. “Why wait until I die?” she said. “They can use it now. And besides, I can live on my social security and the interest on my investments.” Good for her, I thought. Although always beautifully dressed and flitting around the world on cruises – her next one is to the Greek Isles – and keeping her three homes – San Francisco, Florida and Honolulu – she says she lives simply. I guess we all have our own definition of that.

Julia went off to Mark’s birthday party, a litle confused about just who he was, but eager to celebrate. I had dinner alone – my choice – and went to bed.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment